Training at Kirkland, Washington's Juanita HS, the Ravens Wrestling Club is a year-round developmental & high-performance youth wrestling program serving local boys & girls. The Ravens Wrestling Club is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization using wrestling to provide growth opportunities for improving local area young people of all levels to enhance their skills.
Our over-arching goal is to use the oldest & greatest sport as a vehicle to support our community's youth in developing a strong positive character, confidence, discipline, work ethic, mental toughness, lasting friendships, and achieving success in all aspects of life.
Kevin CorbettA 32-year resident of Kirkland and a long-time Juanita HS supporter. Grateful for the valuable mentorship of Meadowdale's National Hall of Fame Coach Bruce Cook. Coach Corbett believes in the power of the world's oldest and greatest sport to make quality transformational experiences in helping young people learn important life lessons and more importantly, learn about themselves: Life is tough, and they are tougher!
- · High School National Greco-Roman placer (5th)
- · University of Washington (1977-1978. The UW later dropped its program in 1980)
Jacob DannerCoach Danner fell in love with the sport of wrestling his junior year of high school when he learned the sport put him in control of his own destiny. Since then he's been trying to give back for all the sport has taught him. Coach Danner was part of the Academic State Champion wrestling team in 1998 and you'll find him pointing to the banner hanging in his old high school gym, when the team travels to away meets. Coach Danner can often be seen walking with his wife and dogs up on Finn Hill. Also, a father to two "wrestlers in training", Greyson (age 13) and Mackenzie (age 10).
- · Juanita HS Coach: 2016-Present)
- · Finn Hill Middle School (Head Coach:2018 and 2020-Present, Assistant: 2017, 2019)
- · Interlake HS (Asst Coach: 2000-2003)
- · KingCo Assistant Coach of the Year (2019)
- · KingCo Middle School Coach of the Year (2018)(2022)
Certs::Copper, Bronze, CT
Jason ThurstonCoach Thurston grew up in upstate New York and Florida where he competed in Football, Wrestling, and Track & Field. He developed a love of wrestling from 2 Hall of Fame coaches at Vestal and Venice High Schools and chose to pursue a career in teaching and coaching because of them. A Texas A&M University graduate, coach is married to his wife of 15 years, Alexis, and together they have 3 children - Tyler (9), McKayla (8), and Gabriel (6).
- Frisco Liberty HS (Head Coach: 9 years)
- Waller HS (Head Coach: 4 years)
- 3 individual Texas State Champions
- 2 National Runners-up
- 30 UIL State Placers
- 24 Academic All-State athletes.
- His teams earned 2 TEXAS STATE DUAL MEET CHAMPIONSHIPS (one each in girls AND boys)
- Four Top-5 UIL State finishes, and multiple Regional & District titles.
- USA Weightlifting Sports Performance Coach
- NIAAA Certified Master Athletic Administrator
Jordan KrichCoach Krich started wrestling at 5 years old as part of Hall of Fame Coach Tom Sewell's Northshore Mat Kids program.
He was a FARGO freestyle & Greco-Roman national competitor in high school and wrestled as a member of the Clackamas College Dual meet National Championship team in 1991.
For the last 7 years, he's been competing in jiu-jitsu tournaments where his wrestling has been a valuable part of his success--including a recent 3rd place finish in the Jiu-Jitsu World Championships. His good nature, youth, & varied experiences make him a valuable coach for the Ravens!
- Juanita High School Assistant Coach (2019 & 2022)
- Kamiakin Jr High Head Coach (2019)
COMPETITOR Jiu Jitsu
- 2022 World Master Jiu Jitsu Tournament - 3rd place
- 2015 - 2022 GSUBX CHAMPION
- 2015 - 2022 Evolution CHAMPION
- Clackamas College (Oregon)
- Member of the 2011 NJCAA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP Dual-meet Team
HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING
- 4A State Placer (2007)
- Greco & Freestyle State Placer
- Washington State Team member to (Fargo) Nationals
Robert ZimmardiFather of three boys, we have been active members in the Kirkland athletic community for many years and I have enjoyed teaching kids how to have fun while striving to be their best version of themselves. Coaching Experience: Kirkland wrestling coach 2015 to present LW Jr Kangs coach 2015 to present various other youth sports over the years (Baseball, Flag Football, Soccer) Athletic Experience Wrestling: Nevada HS Champion in wrestling and taekwondo Avid softball player post college Currently, enjoying playing tennis and riding dirt bikes
Jeff KeenerCoach Keener is a lifelong resident of Kirkland, having grown up & attended Lake Washington Schools including a 1991 graduation from Juanita HS. With over 20 years of coaching experience at the high school & club level, he is both knowledgeable & passionate about all styles of wrestling and eager to share his knowledge with wrestlers young & old! WRESTLING EXPERIENCE:
- Central Washington University (1994-96)
- Yakima Valley CC (1992-93)
- Club Coaching
- USA Cobra Washington
- Suplex City
- Greater Gold
- High School Coach
- Cedarcrest HS Girls (Head Coach: 2018-21)
- Inglemoor HS (2009-16)
- Juanita HS (Head Coach: 2003-2009)
- Notable Accomplishments
- Most recently coached high school girls to All-American status in the college division of both the 2021 BodyBar & Barbell tournaments.
- Many Washington State HS State Placers & State Freestyle Champions (Baba & Skurnik)
- 10 Washington State National team members
- Division I Scholarship Wrestlers: Josh Skurnik- Missouri, Jake Brown- Michigan, Andy Pham- Colorado State
Michael BrandenburgA former Marine, Coach Brandenburg has 25+ years of experience as a Professional Strength/Conditioning and Speed/Agility Coach. You won't find a more technical instructor in the complex, Olympic-style lifts, nor a trainer who is so inviting and takes a holistic approach to overall athletic improvement and wellness. One of the Northwest's most sought-after trainers, Coach Brandenburg, is the Director of Trinity Training. For the last four years, he has been the Strength & Conditioning Coach for the Juanita High School wrestling program.
- · Asst Strength Coach for the University of Washington football team (2005)
- · ALL Sports Strength & Development Programming for Central Washington University (2002-2004)
- · Speed Coach for the women's professional basketball team: The Seattle Storm
- · B.S., Exercise Science (Kinesiology & Nutrition)
- · Crossfit Level 1 Certification
- · Vertimax Training Certificate, Nike Training Center
- · Personal Training Certificate, Cooper Institute of Aerobic Research
Steve BecherKirkland Middle School: Head Coach 2020-present Head Coach Lake Washington HS 2004-2021 Assistant Coach: Woodinville HS 2001-2003
SESSIONS & PRACTICE TIMES
SeSSION 1: NOVEMBER 28 - FEB 10 - 2 groups
Season 1 is for BEGINNERS, those boys & girls new to wrestling and beginners.
In partnership with the Kirkland Boys & Girls Club, participants will sign-up & pay ($115) through the Boys & Girls Club HERE
Participants do NOT need to purchase a USA Membership.
This Session 1 is and Introduction to Wrestling for Fun & Fundamentals, with NO outside tournament competition.
SeSSION 2: Freestyle & Greco-ROMAN
Season 2 is for those boys & girls that want to continue wrestling & train to compete successfully in USA Wrestling events. CALENDAR
This is "Spring Wrestling" for junior high & high school wrestlers, who will compete in the Washington Freestyle & Greco State tournaments (held in May) and who want to earn a spot on the Washington State teams to Nationals.
> USA WRESTLING MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED FOR ALL MEMBERS BEFORE STEPPING ON THE MAT.
> There will be camps, guest clinicians, and joint practices with other Clubs in addition to practices.
> Session 2 fee: $300 & includes exclusive training sessions with national wrestlers/coaches. (Does not include competition singlets/uniforms)
NOTE: BEGINNER KIDS & INTERMEDIATE start April 17 (after Spring Break) ....end TBD
JR.HIGH & HIGH SCHOOL starts Wednesday, March 16 ....end on May 6
MEMBERS-ONLY TRAINING CAMPS
1. INTENSIVE TECHNIQUE CAMP (free to members)
Friday, March 17: 7pm - 8:30pm =Greco
Saturday, March 18: 9am-10:30am =Freestyle, 10:30-11 =Lunch, 11a-12:30p =Greco
Saturday, March 18: 12:30-1:30 COACHES ONLY Session
Guest Coach: Mike Bundy, Washington State National Team Coach
2. GRECO CAMP (free to members)
Friday, March 31: 7pm - 8:30pm
Saturday, April 1: 9am-10:30am , 10:30-11 =Lunch, 11a-12:30pm
Guest Coach: David Walker
3. INTENSIVE TRAINING CAMP (free to members)
Friday, April 14: 7pm - 8:30pm =Greco
Saturday, April 15: 9am-10:30am =Freestyle, 10:30-11 =Lunch, 11a-12:30p =Greco
Saturday, April 15:: 12:30-1:30 COACHES ONLY Session
Guest Coach: Mike Bundy, Washington State National Team Coach
SESSION 3: SUMMER
Season 3 is for wrestlers looking to participate in summer camps, dual meets, and open mats. Summer team camps give wrestlers the opportunity to gain experiences that build valuable skills & memories for a lifetime!
Juanita HS Wrestling Room
All practices are at JUANITA HIGH SCHOOL
Address: 10601 NE 132nd St, Kirkland, WA 98034
The wrestling room can be difficult to find, and is located in the southwest corner, on the 2nd floor, above the pool. (Find the GREEN Target in picture below)
See video at right for a walkthrough of how to navigate the maze to the wrestling room.
VIDEO: to wrestling room
Once you've parked at Juanita High School 1. Enter the main door for the POOL. 2. Make an immediate left & go up the stairs. 3. Enter the school weight room through the double doors (it is open when wrestling is going on). 4. Turn left & proceed to the far (south) end of the weight room (only one door at the left end). 5. Enter through the door & you're in the RAVENS WRESTLING ROOM! Welcome!